Sunday, October 25, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 5 (A Place You Would Live, But Have Never Visited)


Day 5: A place you would live, but have never visited

Before August of this year, this would've been Boston, no questions asked. I want to live there so badly. But since I flew out for a visit to scope out my dream city a few months ago, I can no longer attribute this title to it. I'd also live in Paris, given the chance. (Actually most likely a Parisian suburb.) But again, I only know this because I have been there. So... It's got to be London.

Not a doubt about it. I remember in sixth or seventh grade, falling strangely in love with London and all things British pop culture. I know my undying love for Daniel Radcliffe had a lot to do with it. I've never been to London, though I was about € 200 short of going, about a year ago. And though I can't tell the future, there are a few things on my bucket list which I will make darn sure will happen. Going to London is one of them.

British boys. Accents. Style. Funny slang. Driving on the opposite side of the road. Adding a superfluous "u" in words like "colour" and "favourite". Pubs. The Tube. Telephone booths. Big Ben. Parliament. The Scotland Yard. History. Yep, I'm sold.

I'd walk around just giggling to myself with joy and elation at being in such an historical place surrounded by such beautiful people and culture... The way that I remember feeling in France and Boston, alike. I remember the way I chuckled to myself when a native spoke to me with an accent, both French and Bostonian, and then thought to myself, "wait, I'm the one with the accent here." I especially recall that independent feeling of, "wow, look what I've accomplished all by myself... look where I've gotten myself... this place is a dream come true..." I remember how I reveled in the feeling of pure ecstasy and inexplicable inner peace that accompanies actually wanting to be where you are, rather than feeling like the universe just dumped you into some place when you were born, so that's where you've remained.

There has always been something illusive to me about the idea of wandering around somewhere until you feel at home; not physically, but emotionally. I love that feeling, and like any travel junkie jonesing for another high, I would pack my bags in a heartbeat just to feel it again. I think I would feel that way in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment