Monday, October 26, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 6 (Someone Who Fascinates You and Why)

Day 6: Someone who fascinates you and why

I think this question is probably intended to address one single person, but I have a tendency to be creepy if I'm not careful, so I am choosing instead to take a more general approach: serial killers.

I watch way too much television about them. Dexter and Criminal Minds come to mind immediately. I am one of those people who Netflix binge watches entire series without showering for two days. I think it's more than fair to say that my fascination with serial killers comes as a byproduct of my television consumption.

Serial killers, as a general demographic, are fascinating. They have been psychopaths, sociopaths, pathological liars, paranoid schizophrenics, or simply suffering from extreme mommy issues. They can have any combination of these (fairly common) disorders, and many more. Both nature and nurture often play a role in their development into a serial killer. According to Dexter, his urge to kill was something inherent and uncontrollable; a monster from deep within that could never be satiated.

BTK, our very own homegrown sexual sadist from right here in Wichita, is often referenced on Criminal Minds when the team is dealing with a new deviant who has a similar personality or killing style. Literally speaking, numerous books have been written and several movies have been produced surrounding Dennis Rader. So I guess I'm not the only one who is fascinated by serial killers.

There are many different avenues to serial-killerhood that guide each individual serial killer to a fate as unique as they are. It is very intriguing to me, to examine the events in a person's life that led them to make the decisions they have; as well as the additional underlying psychological development that ultimately tipped them over the edge.

There's something enthralling about learning more about a person and some of the most defining moments of their life, in order to better understand who they are and how they tick; and in that sense, they're really not all that different from the rest of us. I guess that's why they fascinate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment