Wednesday, November 4, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 15 (Three Pet Peeves)

Day 15: Three Pet Peeves

1. Slow Walkers. God, I get so irritated when I get stuck behind a slow walker. Or worse, a group of them. Whether they're just totally engrossed in their cell phones, chattering together like a group of clucking chickens, or just appear to be a slow person in general, I don't like getting stuck behind them. Especially when they don't walk single file down the sidewalk and it is impossible for me to pass them and get on my way. Even more so when I need to be somewhere on time. In fact, that's the only time when I notice it. Other times, when I'm not in a hurry, I don't mind slow walkers so much. But when I have somewhere to be, I prefer it when people move out of my way.

2. Loud Chewers. When it is otherwise quiet and I can hear someone smacking their food in their mouth, it often takes a lot of restraint for me not to tell them to please chew with their mouth closed. I don't know if it's a habit they just don't realize they've picked up, or if they're aware of it and nobody has ever told them how awful it is to be around someone who is audibly consuming their food. Either way, I'm uncomfortable with listening to your saliva smack against your mouth and coat everything inside of it. Please stop.

3. Tailgaters. I live in the Midwest. We drive everywhere, all the time. That is why it is amazing to me that there still seem to be so many people who aren't good at it. I brake-check tailgaters frequently, without shame. If you are driving so close to the back end of my car that my gentle tapping on the brakes causes you to rear-end me, I assure you both insurance companies as well as the police will find you to be the guilty party. Back up off me, bro!

Likewise, when we're stopped at a red light, don't stop within a foot and a half of my tail lights. When I was learning to drive, I was taught that when stopping at a red light, I should stop far enough away that I can see the back tires of the car in front of me on the ground. That usually equates to about five feet away from the back bumper of that car. Why? So that if someone rear-ends me, I am less likely to rear-end the car in front of me in a domino effect, thus mitigating the damage as well as my liability. I think I must have been one of maybe 100 people in all of Kansas who were taught this. I will intentionally drive slower or wait a half-second longer to begin moving again in this situation, just to spite the close-driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment